Searh Result

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Time to Leave Your Job When
By [http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Jeffrey_Hauser]Jeffrey Hauser

I've been working in some capacity since I was twelve. I began delivering newspapers in the neighborhood, was a stock boy at a local children's clothing store, and did various jobs throughout college. I began full-time employment when I graduated in 1970 and have worked ever since. My last job lasted nearly 25 years. Since college, I've been in advertising and marketing, which matched my degree. It had its ups and downs, but was mostly economically rewarding and emotionally satisfying. Every workday, I would get up and think about what the business world would hold for me in the next several hours. For the most part, it was something to which I looked forward.

But there were other factors involved. My coworkers were also my friends, to a large extent. Many were people with whom I socialized. Then there was the working conditions. This company provided the latest computers and Internet access, fax machines and my cell phone. I had a nice office with a view from the third floor, a lunch room, and covered parking. I received a generous car allowance and many other perks. Because I was in commissioned sales, I was often given bonuses or "spiffs" as incentives along with awards and trips to places like Hawaii, for outstanding performance. I had a terrific compensation package including all my insurance, 401K and pension plans. You might say I was spoiled and had nothing to complain about and you would be right.

So, why did I dread the job on certain days? Sure, I had to go to mandatory all- day meetings where I listened to statistical reports that were boring ad nausea, but so what? Lots of employees are dragged into meetings. Other days, I had to face irate clients or long drives to customers that rarely bought anything. Yet, that's all part of a salesman's lot. So, why were there days when I wanted to do anything but go to work? Okay, I'm a bit of a whiner, but who isn't? So, getting back to my topic, what are the real warning signs that maybe it's time for a change of job scenery?

It's more than dreading meetings, facing your boss, or hoping for more pay. It's an attitude. Here are some basic warning signs that may have you rethinking your employment.

It's time to leave your job when...

(1) You begin having anxiety attacks when you merely think of having to go to work.

(2) You constantly complain about the tiniest work-related issue to friends, family or anyone that will pay attention.

(3) Nights and weekends are the only time you appear genuinely happy.

(4) You notice you are having more and more illnesses preventing you from working, or

(5) You get frequent headaches at the workplace.

(6) You find excuses to pick fights with coworkers.

(7) You have evil thoughts about your boss.

(8) You resent the company for almost no reason other than it's there.

(9) You invent reasons why the product or service you sell are faulty.

(10) The job is never satisfying on any level.

(11) As you drive to work, you concoct reasons why this day will be the worse day of your life.

(12) You are convinced that a vengeful God placed you in this position.

The bottom line is that there is no use being miserable. Just as if you were in a lousy marriage, it's time to consider a divorce, in this case, from your job. You are probably thinking that it's easier said than done. You're right, but life is too short to be stuck in a place you hate. It's time to grab the want ads and rethink your future. You be happier, less ill, and have more to look forward to each and every day. Remember, there is always a better job out there somewhere just waiting for you if you're willing to seek it out.

Jeffrey Hauser was a sales consultant for the Bell System Yellow Pages for nearly 25 years.
He graduated from Pratt Institute with a BFA in Advertising and has a Master's Degree in teaching. He had his own advertising agency in Scottsdale, Arizona and ran a consulting and design firm, ABC Advertising. He authored a book about his directory years, "Inside the Yellow Pages" which can be seen at his website, http://www.poweradbook.com and he is officially retired.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jeffrey_Hauser http://EzineArticles.com/?Its-Time-to-Leave-Your-Job-When&id=151441

No comments: